Saturday, September 10, 2005

Bad Friday

I had a terrible day yesterday. First, I woke up with a headache like my head against a board, then I freaked out at my supervisor over the fact that I am not making any progress with my research and I have zero publications and I'm already in my third year of grad school with no end in sight. Then I spent the rest of the day feeling guilty about the freak out and about acting like a whiny lab diva. The worst was yet to come. I got home and found a letter from my attorney in my mail. Why do you have an attorney, you ask? Because I got into a car accident a couple of years ago and the other driver sued me for $72,000. $72,000. It was a random accident in a rotary, in which myself and the other driver were both pulling onto exit ramps and the front ends of the vehicles collided. The insurance companies found it to be a no fault accident, but he disagreed and sued me (the driver), the owner of the car (yeah, it was my friend's father's car. great.), and the insurance company. A few months ago, I was informed that the case had settled out of court, and there was much rejoicing. Yesterday, I found out via the letter that only the property damage portion of the case had settled and not the personal injury aspect. He was diagnosed with a sprained ankle two weeks after the accident (shady) and is also suing for $50,000 worth of mental anguish (double shady). So this unpleasant chapter of my life story is still open.

3 comments:

tara d. said...

eileen, this SUCKS. i'm so sorry! people are jagoffs. 72 grand? get a job.

re: headache - were you also twice as cloudy as you'd been the night before, seeking clarity?

Anonymous said...

So sorry you have to go through this. This guy will get what he has coming to him... nada, zip, zilch, zero. It just stinks you have to go through the system until it's all over :(

eileen said...

yar, it sucks, but hey, sometimes being a broke grad student has its plusses. worst case scenario, i lose, then what? I make a student stipend, and have no assets and no savings. as the saying goes, you can't squeeze blood from a stone.