Sunday, October 16, 2005

Weekend Update

Everyone who cared about the USC vs. ND game watched it and knows what happened, so let us speak of it never again. So aside from You-Know-What, the weekend has been a good one. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Carolina and I did our 16 mile training run Saturday morning in the pouring rain. It has been raining continuously for over a week here in Boston, and a lot of the roads were flooded, so we had to trod through ankle-deep water a couple of times. Fifteen minutes into the run, I was as equally drenched as I would have been had I decided to forego the run and jump directly into the Charles River. The rain must have been motivational; we ran at a significantly faster pace than normal.
  • I went to the 30th birthday party of a friend and soccer teammate, who just so happens to be from Spain and is married to another friend, teammate, and Spaniard. They always serve delicious tapas at their parties, and this one did not disappoint. Great food, fun people, and lots of booze are key ingredients to a good party.
  • I bought a pair of designer jeans. And by "designer", I mean "not from Old Navy". I tried on about 15 pairs until I found the perfect fit- long enough (I need a 34 inseam), and tight in the butt but not the waist, thus avoiding the dreaded muffin top syndrome. They were from Vertigo Jeans, which I must admit I've never heard of and could well be some teenybopper brand like Mudd, but they were originally priced $180, and I got them for $25 at TJ Maxx. The max for the minumum, indeed.
  • I had a good laugh at the expense of Carlos and Pilar's television, which is so old that it has those big dials that turn and click to set a station, one for UHF and one for VHF. We had a black and white version when I was a kid, but I haven't seen one in operation in years. At least not in the United States.
  • The sun came out! Finally! I had trouble recognizing it at first. Another week of rain and I may have turned into one of those albino, cave-dwelling, eyeless salamanders .
  • Maria has finally started posting on her blog.

No comments: