Wednesday, February 01, 2006

And the Academy Award nomination goes to...

Oscar nominations are out. Although I've only seen a few of the movies (still hoping to catch Munich), here are my picks for the major categories:
Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress: Keira Knightley
Best Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams

I have a couple of requests. Could everyone please stop referring to "Oscar" as if Oscar were an actual person? As in: "Oscar likes films that focus on the internal struggles of a comnplex character." Stop that! And could Rachel Weisz please not win? The Constant Gardener stunk and her character in that movie was FREAKIN ANNOYING. Also, I thought Matt Dillon did a great acting job in Crash, but I'm suprised that the movie was nominated for so much- it was way too preachy for me. I'll definitely enter the annual Web-Goddess Oscar contest, as well as an Oscar betting pool, which I just so happened to win last year, run by a non-blogging friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was wrong with the constant gardner (no irony intended, I am baffled by your misplaced agression....)?

eileen said...

I was really dissapointed, because I loved City of God (same director, Fernando Meirelles), which was everything that this movie was not. City of God had strong, believable characters and the movie treated the poor people in Rio objectively, as in "Here they are and this is what their lives are like" not in a melodramatic plea for audience sympathy. Look at them suffer! Oh, how they suffer! Look how evil big pharma is! I felt like the Africans in the movie were just props to get the message across. And Rachel Weisz's character was terrible. She didn't care about her husband at all, she just used him to go to Africa, like it's impossible for a college-educated woman to get a job working for the WHO or an NGO in Africa and her only option was to tag along with a rich diplomat and act all righteous. Pul-eze. I read a review in the Boston Phoenix that put it best...if you really care about impoverished people in Africa, send $10 to Oxfam instead of watching this movie.

Anonymous said...

wait a minute - treating the poor objectively? Is that what movies are supposed do? If so their doomed to fail and best not attempted at the multiplex or anywhere else. But, I liked the movie beacause it used fiction to get at something relevent. The problems of moral action when the consequences of thoes actions are unclear and opaque. Not a new problem but one intnsified as of late. I thought Wise was good, a person torn between the realities of her daily life with Raphe and the potential implications that that life, as banal as it seems on the face of it, has in a wider context.

eileen said...

I guess it's a matter of taste. Yes, the movie made a point, but I prefer a movie to be more subtle and encourage the audience to think for themselves (Example- Maria Full of Grace) rather that beat them over the head with a message.