Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Book Review: Water, Carry Me

I recently read Water, Carry Me, by Thomas Moran. The story centers around a young Irish woman, Una Moss, who leaves home, starts college, and falls in love, all against a backdrop of political violence that she tries, and ultimately fails, to avoid. The characters are believable and easy to relate to as they struggle with classes, make friends, get drunk, hook up, and adapt to their newfound independence, things many of us experienced when we left home for college. I was impressed by the fact that the author, Thomas Moran, writes so adeptly as a female character. The only other novel I can think of in which a male author succeeds equally in crafting a female protagonist is Memoirs of a Geisha. I don't want to spoil the ending in case any of you do read it, but I highly recommend Water, Carry Me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOHhh... can I borrow it from you?

eileen said...

My friend Carolina lent it to me. Besides, I don't lend books to anonymous commenters.

Anonymous said...

Carolina said to give it to me.