Monday, July 31, 2006

Weekend Report

Friday- Went to dinner with my parents, then went over Kim and Mike's, where I watched the season finale of The Office (hooray for Tivo) and a few of the webisodes.

Saturday- Played in a all-day soccer tournament in the blazing heat. Unfortunately, my team did not fare very well, but we had a good time nonetheless. Afterwards, we went out for beers and food, and later on hit the tournament party at Lir. Throughout the tournament, they videotape the games and then play a highlight reel during the party. Since I knew the guy videotaping, there was a lot of footage of me, including a close up of me misjudging a high ball and totally missing a header. I hate seeing myself on video- I'd much prefer to go through life unaware of my slouching problem and general awkwardness. This time wasn't quite as embarrassing as the time my neck fat appeared in a closeup on the jumbotron at Celtics game:

Oh, look, the camera is totally zoomed in on someone's neck fat. How awful! (camera pans out a little bit) Jeez, it's still up there. (camera pans out a little more and I notice that the neck fat belongs to someone wearing the same green jersey that I have on) Uh oh. (camera pans out a little more and oh yes, it's me up there) Nooooooooo!

Sunday- Acted like a good worker bee and spent all day in the lab. I did talk one of my coworkers into going out to lunch with me at Victoria's Diner; my bus passes by there every day and I've always been curious about it. It was a fairly standard diner, catering towards old people and workers from the surrounding warehouse district. I ate a roast turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce sandwich (yum!) but I'll have to try it again in the morning; breakfast seems to be the specialty.
Sunday night, I did another thing I've always wanted to do- I went to see Shakespeare on the Common, a free production on Boston Common that takes place every evening during the summer. This year's play is The Taming of the Shrew, and I really enjoyed the production. The slight modernization and Italian-Americanization (okay, I made that word up) of the plot kept things light and audience-friendly, but the adaptations did not stray too far from the bard's original work. The success of the play hinges on the performance of Petruchio, who must "tame" the shrew without coming across as a chauvinist pig, and lead actor Darren Pettie excels at this task. I'm glad I finally took advantage of the annual free summer Shakespeare production and would recommend it to other city-dwellers.

No comments: