Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Scream recovered


Edward Munch's famous painting The Scream has been recovered by police in Norway, two years after it was stolen from the Munch Museum by armed gunmen.

I am fascinated by cases of stolen art. Who buys it? What do they do with it? If I were a eccentric, rich, and unethical person and I bought a stolen masterpiece, especially one whose theft was highly publicized, what would I do with it? Hang it in a secret room and only show it to my most trusted friends? Put it in a storage facility and never let anyone know I have it? Hang it in plain view and kill anyone who dared to gaze upon it?

Speaking of artwork, I think it would be quite fun to own this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eileen -

Here is the book I am reading now, which is about the 1994 theft of the Scream painting. http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Artist-Thieves-Missing-Masterpiece/dp/0060531185/sr=1-1/qid=1157073747/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0083257-3607327?ie=UTF8&s=books

Kevin said...

Eileen, Shaun has that poster of Kramer and it's still on the wall at 49 Johnson. If you want it, just stop on by and get it. The BFI will be more than happy to get rid of it, as she's hated seeing it on the wall for the past 10 years. It's all yours.

eileen said...

Phil, that book looks really interesting- can I borrow it when you're done?

Kev- I think I'd prefer the actual painting, not a poster version. However, I'd take the photo of you in the heart-shaped framer over teh Kramer any day. But I doubt the BFI would want to part with it...

Kevin said...

Eileen! You can't mention that in frame in a public forum like this! Please delete that posting!! ;)