Thursday, May 24, 2007

Blasts from the past

Twice this week, something has come up that I haven't seen or heard in decades. First, at lunch the other day, a co-worker started choking on his sandwich (not choking choking, more of a cough-laugh-choke), and I was kidding around and started slapping him on the back (which never helps, FYI). Then, another coworkers shoots his arms straight up and starts yelling "raise your arms! raise your arms!" which made half the people at the table burst into laughter. When we were kids, if anyone ever started coughing at the dinner table, my father would always do the "raise your arms!" thing. I hadn't seen anyone do it in years, and had no idea that I was a common phenomenon.

Secondly, my older sister was about to throw away a childhood plaything until she found out that it is considered a collectors' item. Now, it's for sale on eBay. I am firmly in the anti-knickknack camp, so I can't imagine paying money for someone else's old junk, but hey, some people like this sort of thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I am curious how did your sister come across the information that it was consideed a collector's item? Randomly searching for Californai Raisin-pjs? What? This post demands a sequal....

Anonymous said...

HA! My mom always told us to raise our arms too. If we didn't get them as high as she wanted them, she grabbed them and practically pulled my arms out of the socket.

Unknown said...

Sucks about the Celts. HEy, you should check out my next-door neighbor Henry's blog. He is hilarious and really good at documenting our communally shared backyard parties. Most of them are planned impecibly by him and most often, themed.

bucket-o-hank.blogspot.com

Ginger said...

Apparently your father was right. See this news item that I'm researching:
New Jersey Boy, 5, Saves Choking Grandmother