Thursday, May 17, 2007

Music Club

Earlier this year, my friend Kelly (get her Two for Tuesday music tracks here) started a CD Mix club. There are ten members, and every few months, you make a mix CD and mail it out to everyone in the group. Some are old friends from college, others are people I don’t know at all, so it’s interesting to imagine their personalities based solely upon their musical tastes and the occasionally witty group email. One of the objectives is to share music you like that you think other people might not be familiar with, so most of the artists featured are of the hipster/independent vein. Round 1 was a smashing success- I had fun making my mix (as well as a tiny bit of anxiety…like, what if they’re all trendy hipsters and think my taste is like, soooo 2005? I did manage to curb my desire to throw some G and R on for good measure.) and loved getting everyone else’s. Coming home and finding a bunch of mix CDs, some of which from complete strangers, in the mail? Greatness. I liked them all, and discovered artists such as The Be Good Tanyas and Amy Winehouse, by virtue of the music club.

Anyways, here’s the track list for my second mix CD, and I can send you a copy if you’re interested.

1. Mr. Blue Sky- Electric Light Orchestra
2. Whole Wide World- Wreckless Eric
3. Blame It On The Trains – Art Brut
4. Can’t Stand Me Now – The Libertines
5. My Coco- Stellastarr*
6. Oh, Susquehanna! – Defiance, Ohio
7. Hesitating Beauty – Billy Bragg with Wilco
8. When I Cross Over - Tift Merritt
9. Fraud in the 80s- Mates of State
10. Belinda - Mittens
11. Sister Kate – The Ditty Bops
12. Oh, You Pretty Things – David Bowie
13. Two Way Action – Andrew Bird
14. Down in the Valley- The Broken West
15. Me Gustas Tu – Manu Chao
16. La FlacaJarabe de Palo
17. Tamacun – Rodrigo Y Gabriela
18. Amor De Mi Tierra – Carlos Vives
19. Chipi Chipi - Maria Esther Zamora
20. Quedate Luna - Devendra Banhart

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My new obsession:
Plain White T's--Hey There Delilah
Rachael Yamagata--Reason Why
Bathroom Girl--That Guy (You tube it)
Julieta Venegas--
The Weepies--
Even Mandy Moore is going more folky. I swear and I think that if you didn't know who she was and listen to her stuff, you would think it tolerable and I HATE Mandy Moore's music (but LOVE LOVE her in movies--Chasing Liberty, anyone?)

Lisa Kate said...

yes please! I need some new tunes!

eileen said...

Thanks, Tina, I'll be sure to check those out.

Lis, I'll make you copies of vol 1 and vol. 2.

danimal said...

Dude, Elena hook me up.

DC
General Delivery
Pittsboro, NC 27312

You should check out the following bands on myspace: Chatham County Line, Steep Canyon Rangers, Town Mountain, Camel City Drivers, Songs from the Road, Shannon Whitworth.

and me!!! www.myspace.com/dadeepoldwell