Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wine Tasting at Morton's

Earlier this week, I went to a wine tasting at Morton's. It was a lot of fun and a great deal- 5 wines (2 whites and 3 reds, all fairly nice bottles) paired with five different appetizers, for $30. The host was a wine buyer who had some decent information on the wines and the process of wine making, but he did try to use a little scientific jargon that made my table, which contained three scientists, cringe. For example, he said that some wines can have a citrusy taste because the grape variety has the same ester gene as a citrus fruit. (FYI, esters don't come from genes, only proteins do. Gah!) Our table almost lost composure again when the host said "teabag" and "moist," so although we are science snobs, we're also extremely juvenile. I did learn that shiraz and syrah come from the same grape, and that I have trouble coming up with adjectives to describe aromas and flavors. "I don't know, it tastes... light...not heavy. And it smells sort of....like....wine. Okay, pour me some more now." I signed up for the Morton's email list, because I would definitely go back for future tasting nights. Here are some photos of us studying and tasting the wines.

No comments: