Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Weekend Report

Friday- Celebrated Nikki's birthday by watching the Sox win Game 1 of the ALCS at Game On. That bar has always reminded me of a glorified boys' dorm room...watching television while simultaneously listening to loud music, in my experience, is a strictly male habit. Girls never do this. It baffles me.

Saturday- Cleaned my apartment, worked in the lab, stopped by a housewarming party, watched some more Sox.

Sunday- Ran the Bay State Half Marathon in Lowell. Originally, a few friends and I were going to do it, but everyone else opted out. I almost bailed as well, since I barely trained- my knee had started bothering me, so I took a couple of weeks off from running. However, it was a nice, fall day, so I decided to give it a go, and I was hoping to finish under two hours. The course winds through Lowell along the river and ends with a lap around the outfield at the baseball stadium. When the finish line was in sight, the clock was at 1:59, so I booked it in and finished at 1:59:52.

Monday- Not technically part of the weekend, but I saw the Smashing Pumpkins play at the Orpheum last night. I rarely listen to them now, but I LOVED them back in the day, and I had never seen them live before. Only two of the original members, Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, are still around, but they played a lot of their old hits and sounded great. They didn't play their biggest hit (and my favorite), "Disarm," but did play a couple songs from almost every album, and Billy Corgan (who is like seven feet tall. I had no idea.) did a solo, acoustic set as well. Overall, it was definitely worth missing the Red Sox game for the show, and my 15-year old self would have been quite jealous. Here's the Globe review of the Sunday night show.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

First off, Eileen, a big congrats on breaking 2 hours. I find it very satisfying to break a specific time, especially when you have to do a sprint at the end of a grueling race to reach it. Well done.

Second, ahem, can I just point out the irony of ironies how it's OK for you to go watch bands from the 1990s in concert but for some reason it's not OK for me to do so? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

First off, Kevin, there is a big difference between the Wallflowers and the Smashing Pumpkins.

Second, Eileen, that is great you were able to spring in and achieve your goal. That must have been so satisfying, congrats!

eileen said...

The difference is that the 90's bands I like are actually good! Collective Soul? C'mon, Kevin.
Plus, it's fun to mock you.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the race time. When I rounded the corner and saw the clock ticking, I definitely had to sprint.