Sunday, January 27, 2008

Weekend Report

Friday- Went out for drinks after work at Kingston Station after work, where they have absinthe on the menu. I was tempted to order it, but chickened out at the last second. Maybe next time. Afterwards, I met up with friends at The Liberty Hotel, a building that once had a far more infamous name, the Charles Street Jail. The prison was closed in 1990 and the property bought by Massachusetts General Hospital. Despite a luxorious renovation, it still retains the large dome and bars on some of the windows. There are two venues inside- Alibi and Clink. We went to Clink, the less clubby of the two, but it was still way more pretentious than the types of places I normally frequent. When I arrived at 9:30, a line had already formed out front. I was suprised by the wide age range of the crowd- early twenties to sixties- which orovided for high comedy when a gray-haired dame clearly in her fifties sent a drink over to a 23 year old guy in our group. I'm not kidding. That's beyond cougar. Something about the set-up, with the domed roof, relatively bright lighting, and spaciousness reminded me of the cocktail hour at a wedding reception. We had a lot of fun people-watching, but eventually relocated to the more pedestrian Hill Tavern, where I proceeded to drink three beers during what I have decided to start calling the witching hour...the hour leading up to last call.

Saturday- Woke up feeling groggy, ran a bunch of errands, went to the lab, then played soccer. Spent the majority of the day attempting to purchase Red Sox tickets, in vain.

Sunday- Went out to breakfast with friends at Mel's Commonwealth Cafe in Wayland. My love for Portuguese muffins has been rekindled- now, I have to figure out where I can buy them. Spent most of the day running errands and doing lab work, then went to trivia night at the 21st Amendment. It was fun but painful - we ended up in a tie for first place, and the tiebreaker was a question on....Christian musicals. Um, so we finished second.

In other news, I learned from Caity that New Kids on the Block are going on tour. Wow.

And, lastly, I'll end with a link to the funniest thing I saw last week. You owe it to yourself to look.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

absinthe tastes like zambuca kicked up a notch. it's not scary! but it i am pretty sure it's antiseptic. which is good right?