Monday, March 31, 2008

Where are all the singles at?


I came across this Singles Map of the United States on Boston.com. The data indicate that in most East Coast cities, single women outnumber single men, whereas the opposite is true for the West Coast. I guess they don't call it Man Diego for nothing!
Naturally, the Globe couldn't post an article like this without throwing in a dash of 1950's sexism:
"One reason young women in the prime marriage years - the 25-44 age range - flock to big cities is to compete for the most eligible men." Yeah, right after we go to college to get our Mrs. degrees, AMIRITE?
They then go on to explain that men move to the West Coast for job opportunities. Oh, exactly.

7 comments:

To Be Announced said...

ha, I was going to blog about this today, too!!

Anonymous said...

this is a bit misleading. are they talking about marriage or just in a relationship because most of the single men in SF are technically single but unavailable...trust me.

eileen said...

I think that in the article, single means unmarried...so that could definitely lead to some skewing, not to mention the fact that a proportion of "single" men in SF are probably gay men with partners.

Sarah said...

I don't know why men go to the West Coast but I know that they go to Jupiter to get more Stupider. So I've heard.

eileen said...

Sarah- HA!

Anonymous said...

HA, that's a riot. Hmmmm...so no person who is single really wants to live in the midwest. I can't understand why....

Perhaps it's because the cows outnumber the people here!

J.R. said...

Well, in fact, I'm moving back to the west coast for the job opportunities myself.... just saying.