Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend Report


Better late than never, right?


Friday- Had friends over for tapas and sangria to celebrate Ern's birthday. With the help of a hardworking team of chefs (Meg, Lisa, Carolina, Pat, and Ern...yes I made the birthday girl cook at her own party. No one is exempt from food prep. NO ONE!), we served olives, almonds, spicy potatoes, Spanish tortilla, garlic shrimp, dates wrapped in bacon, chickpea salad, toast with prosciutto and cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and bruschetta. And lots and lots of sangria. And dumpcake. I hardly took any pictures, but here's one of the finished product. The food, drinks, and company were all splendid, but I must confess that dumpcake was too sweet for my tastes.


Saturday- Slept in, did some cleaning, then had a lazy day of movie watching and leftover tapas consuming. I watched Sling Blade (depressing) and The Savages (even more depressing).


Sunday- My friend Yuki and her fiance Jonathan were in town, so we met up with our friend Dennis and his pregnant sister and his pregnant wife (two separate people, you sickos!) for lunch at Wagamama, which Yuki informed us means "crybaby" in Japanese. Yum! Yuki, Jon and I hit the Freedom Trail for a while and walked around the North End, and managed to catch the exciting second half of the Turkey vs. Czech Republic Euro Cup game. That night, I went home to Framingham to cook a Father's Day meal for my parents. Ah yes, and the Celtics didn't clinch the series in L.A. which means that I have a couple of more days to stress out, lose sleep, and generally fret over my favorite team. And also that I will be able to use those Game 6 tickets tomorrow night. Fingers crossed for the good guys! In case you don't follow the NBA, the good guys wear green.

5 comments:

danimal said...

I'm surprised you didn't like The Savages, I thought it had great performances by Laura Linney and PS Hoffman and some classic awkward moments. It's definitely subtle but I really appreciated how human everyone is.

Anonymous said...

dates wrapped in bacon are the goods. sling blade is an awesome movie. love jack tripper as a real gay in it...

eileen said...

yeah, the dates wrapped in bacon were the party MVPs.

I actually did like both movies, but found the Savages to be really sad...so realistic, so it's easy to relate to. My grandfather has dementia so it reminded me a lot of what my mom and aunts and uncle are going through.

Kevin said...

I didn't realize that Boston had a Wagamama. They are all over the place in London. The guy who founded Wagamama comes up with 1 great restaurant idea after another (he's on his 5th or 6th successful restaurant idea now).

eileen said...

Yeah, Kev, they opened one in Fanieul Hall and one in Harvard Square about a year ago. They're doing well here.