Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Odds and Ends

Hasbro has updated the classic boardgame Clue. The characters now have first names and professions: Colonel Mustard is now Jack Mustard, a retired NFL player. And some of the weapons and rooms have been altered. Pity, I was always partial to the wrench in the billiard room. Now that you think about it, the whole premise is rather macabre for a game played by children- oh yes! Slain by a candlestick, in the parlor! But maybe that was what made it fun.

In other news, over one hundred college and university presidents have issued a statement urging lawmakers to lower the drinking age, their point of view being that the 21 age limit doesn't prevent underage drinking and encourages the culture of college binge drinking. I mean, binge drinking in college is fun and all (scientists have even proven it), but I can see their point. I realize that the age limit was originally raised to combat drunk driving, and yes, drunk driving has decreased since the age limit was raised, but the work of advocacy groups like MADD certainly plays a role in that statistic. I'm on the side of the presidents with this one: 21 seems like an arbitrary number, and rather absurd one at that, considering 18 year olds are deemed old enough to vote, marry, and join the military.

Finally, I saw Tropic Thunder last night. Mildly offensive, but mostly in the Borat oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-they-just-said-that sort of way, and funny as hell. Really hilarious. And, it may even make you like Tom Cruise again. I actually think it's one of those movies that the less you know going in, the better, but in case you want to read a longer synopsis with commentary, check out Kevin's review.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought your "scientists have even proven it" link was going to be a picture with you and a bunch of your scientist friends binge drinking and having fun...

Unknown said...

I just saw Pineapple Express and thought it was really good. Ben Stiller irks me. But his wife is hot.

eileen said...

Tina- I wish I had thought of that! Maybe I'll take one of us wearing lab coats and squirting 70% EtOH into each others mouths. Too nerdy?

Dan- I heard PE was good, too. Did you see Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Heard it was hilarious but haven't seen it yet.
Stiller is a little too present in most of his movies, but at least TP gave a lot of screen time to the other co-stars.