Thursday, January 15, 2009

Got tots?

Nevermind quinoa and cupcakes, I'm jumping on the bandwagon for another culinary trend. Tater tots are making a comeback. I first spotted them on the menu at Robyn's in Roslindale Village when I met friends there for trivia night. We ordered the appetizer tots (available plain or smothered with cheddar and bacon bits...oh yeah, we got both types) and I also chose tots as the side item for my sandwich. Actually, all four of us did.









A couple of weeks later, fellow tot connoisseur Lisa and I were sipping martinis at Tremont 647 when I noticed the presence of tots on the menu. "Rosemary scented fontina stuffed tater tots"- hello, fancy tots! Obviously, we ordered them and two giant, crispy tots soon appeared. I recall them being delicious but my taste buds were dulled from gin, so I may have to return to confirm that observation.








I've decided to declare 2009 The Year of the Tot, so if you know of any Boston-area restaurants with tater tots on the menu, let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

before tots were hot in new england, they were a fixture on the menu at niffer's, just one of the many culinary delights in auburn, alabama. feast your eyes on one of their tot permutations: tot nachos. http://www.niffersplace.com/restaurant/menu/a-good-start/

Jason F said...

The Asgard in Cambridge also has them, they're coated in truffle oil and parmesan cheese. More restaurants need to carry the tot!

eileen said...

YUM. The Cellar in Cambridge also has them...looks like I might have to do a Mass Ave Tot Trot!

Me said...

I tried the ones at 647 a few months back. They were delicious! The fontina cheese in them was AWWWWESOME.

carmen said...

i haven't seen them here but i am keeping my eye out! the stuffed fancy tots looks good.

Anonymous said...

Tater tots are like the perfect cup of chicken soup. They remind you of so many memories and everyone loves it. Plus... Robyn's is where "dreams" come true! I had to say it!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate being dubbed a connoisseur of tater tots. Seeing as I used to store the cafeteria ones in a cup to eat cold after school before soccer practice. Yeah I did. GOSH! - Napolean