Thursday, September 10, 2009

Recipe: "Snapper" Veracruz


A while back, a friend emailed me a link to a cooking website called Rouxbe (which after months of pronouncing it "rocks-bee" in my head, I just now realized it's supposed to be a play on the cooking term roux, so it should sound like "rube." These mistakes happen when the extent of one's French is essentially limited to Pyschokiller lyrics.). Anyways, you have to pay to have full access to all of the site, but there are a ton of recipes and cooking videos available for free. I've been meaning to try out this recipe for Snapper Veracruz for a while but didn't want to cook a whole pan of fish for myself. I had guests on Tuesday night, so I gave it a whirl. I ended up using cod instead because there wasn't any snapper at the supermarket, but the recipe said it was fine to substitute any mild, white fish. And I omitted the bay leaves because, to be honest, they sketch me out. Aren't you supposed to not eat them? Why would I add something to a recipe that needs to be removed later? What if I forget and eat one? Stop messing with me, bay leaves!

Anyways, my Cod Veracruz came out great. It was extremely easy to prepare and tasted delicious- the olives and the jalapeƱos added a nice flavor. Even the one person who isn't a big fan of fish ate and enjoyed it. I forgot to take a picture but my dish did look exactly like the official portrait from the website.

No comments: