Monday, February 08, 2010

Feeling crafty

Despite my better intentions, I have never been particularly good at arts and crafts. However, I bought a Mexican bingo set a couple of months ago and had been meaning to do something with it. So instead of cleaning and packing, I spent the day on a framing project, and it was quite enjoyable. Fortunately for me, my new roommate (my cousin Myles) is a student at Mass Art and has all sorts of X-Acto knives and rulers. I went to AC Moore and picked out some frames (on sale! Then again, I've never been in AC Moore when they weren't having some sort of a frame sale.) and mat board- they didn't have the size I needed so I decided to cut my own...a risky endeavor as I am admittedly clumsy. However, after a few tries, I managed to cut the mat board to the right size without severing any digits. Woohooo!

Here's the finished product:


I always liked the heart card for being realistic and grotesque instead of a puffy cartoon heart. I ended up framing three different cards as a gift (oh hi I'm a surprise wrecker), so someone will soon get their very own Corazon, Mano, and Borracho (!). You've gotta love a children's game that includes The Drunk Man as an image.

6 comments:

mj said...

Great job Eileen. I'm impressed. I may have to do something similar with my set.

Ryan said...

Are these going to Australia? Or are they late additions to the book giveaway?

eileen said...

thanks, mj! i was feeling pretty proud of myself as i'm not normally much of a do-it-yourself type.

ryan- neither. they've already been assigned to someone (not you...don't get your hopes up/breathe a sigh of relief). but maybe i'll make some more in the future- i still have a bunch of the cards and tablets.

Kevin said...

Borracho was probably the first "cool" word we learned in Spanish.

buddymollys said...

it's us! we're the lucky weiners! we totally won:) vielen dank 'reenio -- we just got 'em in the mail yesterday and molly read the customs form on the bottom (and had also read the blog so ... it was still a complete surprise to me! i'm sorry we didn't talk (phone) b4 you left but i'm looking into ways to contact you soon -- do they have the interweb down under?!

eileen said...

YAY! it arrived! yeah, the customs forms don't allow for surprises... those fun spoilers :)