Sunday, July 04, 2010

Weekend in Sydney


I had a great weekend with Kris, Rodd, and Dean in Sydney- the weather is still fairly cool, but at least the sun was shining. We arrived Friday afternoon and spent most of that time wandering around and bar hopping in the Chippendale (heh) and Glebe neighborhoods. Saturday, we went to a local food market for breakfast and then flew kites at Sydney Park, which is built on top of a former brickworks. Well, one of the kites flew quite readily whereas the other one seemed to prefer crashing itself into the ground. Saturday night, we ate dinner at the delicious thai restaurant Spice I Am- where we saw a contestant from Masterchef Australia, a super popular cooking reality show. Later that night, D and I went to a joint Canada Day/4th of July party.

On Sunday morning, Kris and I went for a 7K run through the city, which made me feel a lot less guilty about the pig-out that ensued. We had lunch for the 4th of July at the Blue Plate Bar & Grill, an American restaurant with offerings such as Chicago deep dish pizza and Philly cheese steaks on the menu. And they even serve Sam Adams! (I had one.) We ordered three appetizers (hey, don't judge- it's not every day you can find buffalo wings and potato skins down here) and I had the gumbo for lunch. The whole meal was quite enjoyable.




My conference began last night- highlights included a seminar from a nobel prize winner, the society president announcing my name as Elaine when he handed out my travel award, and a lady who touched my face because she thought my black eye was smudged makeup.

In other weekend news, the four of us are now officially hooked on True Blood, because nobody does vampire smut quite like HBO.

5 comments:

buddymollys said...

i love it! (especially the smudge removal lady) -- i could actually see you doing something like that (touching someone's black eye b/c you thought it was make up:)

dianagarcia said...

Very nice effect, and great tutorials thanks for sharing I read your blog and I feel that the information about "computer" it's really appreciable.Thanks for sharing with us ...


comedians

Chris R. said...

I agree, I think the tutorials are wonderful as well!!

eileen said...

You're welcome, from the "computer" and me.

Andy said...

I will rejoice when you dont have a black eye in pictures. It makes my heart hurt! But glad all is going well in AUS. Love & Miss You!