Thursday, September 02, 2010

Book review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

So I finally caved into the hype and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. In this novel, journalist Mikael Blomkvist is employed by the aging patriarch of a wealthy family to find out what happened to his niece, who disappeared decades prior. The girl with the dragon tattoo is his assistant, the young misfit hacker Lisbeth Salander. It's definitely an entertaining page-turner, but overall not much more than your standard blockbuster thriller, like a Swedish Dan Brown book (albeit with a surprising amount of sexual violence- based on its popularity, I was expecting something a little more vanilla). My biggest bone to pick was with the writing- it seemed so obvious that the intention was to turn it into a screenplay, which kind of gave the book a commercial feel. The protagonist- he's handsome and charismatic and sleeps with beautiful women! There's also some pretty obvious product placement- Blomkvist doesn't type on a laptop; he uses an iBook. In summary, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is am ideal beach or airplane read, but just wasn't enough to warm my cold, book-snobbish soul. I didn't see the movie- was it any good?

6 comments:

S said...

I couldn't get through this book! I've heard that after the first 100 pages it gets better. But I could only make it through about 50 or so!

Eri said...

Didn't Father read this?

danimal said...

I couldn't get into the book either, but thoroughly enjoyed the first two films, crazy shit!!! For some literally snob shit, check out Infinite Jest, Eileen, I think you'd really dig it, I just finished it, it's amazing and challenging (and takes place in Beantown!)

eileen said...

It did start off slow (a lot of boring stuff about financial journalist Zzzzz), but picked up after that. And Eri, I don't think Father read it.
Dan- I admit that I'm intimidated by Infinite Jest but I had no idea it was set in Boston! It may be time to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

I've not read the book but loved loved the first film. Can't wait to see the next ASAP.
PS this is Sarah B of Brooklyn town

eileen said...

two votes for the movie- now I really want to see it!