Sunday, April 10, 2011

Full Indian dinner (almost)


My new flatmate is a vegetarian, a fact that has led me to expand my vegetarian meal repertoire a bit...I mean, there's only so much meatless pasta and pizza one can stomach. I decided to give Indian cuisine a try- aside from Trader Joe's (sigh...), I've never made Indian food from scratch. I did some online searching and found a couple of recipes that looked tasty and relatively easy to make:

Aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) and chole (chickpea curry).

Then I bought some naan from the grocery store...so not entirely from scratch. The dishes were fairly simple to make and very tasty, although I did prefer the cauliflower one (add cauliflower to the list of veggies that are surprisingly good! See also: brussel sprouts) to the chick peas. Served with rice, the meal was certainly filling enough, although I may have to try my hand at samosas next time.

5 comments:

Nitsirk said...

Yum! I love cauliflower, I use them to make "Fake" mashed potatoes. Just cook it and smush it up with butter and garlic. Tasty!

Eri said...

Mmm looks delish. Food trucks are all the rage @ my work and we get to try the indian food truck this week. Can't wait!

S said...

I recently found out the goodness of brussel sprouts! My co-worker makes those "fake" mashed potatoes from cauliflower, too. It's on my list of things to try.

Tom said...

There's a good samosa recipe kicking around online that uses phyllo dough and baking instead of frying. Great party food.

eileen said...

I found a samosa recipe like the one you describe- will try it out soon! Yummers.