Thursday, May 05, 2011

Hot cross buns


Before I moved to Australia, my only exposure to hot cross buns was that song you play when you're first learning the recorder...a la these kids. However, in many countries they are traditionally eaten around Easter, on Good Friday in particular, and it turns out they have an interesting and somewhat controversial history. Considered a symbol of Catholicism, they were banned in England during reign of Queen Elizabeth I but eventually allowed to be sold at Easter and Christmas. To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of raisins in bread products- but here in Australia everyone eats them on Good Friday, and the lapsed Catholic in me still loves a tradition, even if the idea of eating baked goods to celebrate a crucifixion strikes me as a little odd. And this recipe for hot cross bun french toast looked like a winner. I'm happy to report that it was delicious.

2 comments:

TBA said...

ha, great post!

My students have mastered Hot Cross Buns and progressed to Mary Had a Little Lamb. Big doings in the third grade!

buddymollys said...

she said big doings. (giggle) no, i used to love me some recorder. will have to try your recipe!